Us

Us

Sunday, September 16, 2012

My First Marathon

I ran the Top of Utah Logan marathon in 5:02:17.0. My friend Sarah finished it in 4.5 hours.  Sarah and I wanted to run the whole time together, but I was having tummy problems.  We ran the first 9 miles together and I told her to leave me at my second bathroom stop, which probably cost me ten minutes.  She left hesitantly, but I was glad she got to do her best on the run.  It was definitely not my best run but I finished!  I had perfect timing and caught Kira's stomach sickness just in time for my marathon.  I had to take three bathroom stops in the first 14 miles. I did have some problems with my knees by mile 19 so I had to walk occasionally in the last seven miles.  At mile 25, I had the medical aid rub some stuff that numbs the muscles on my knee which was cool stuff.  I wished I would have done that sooner.

I am so glad that I got to do the marathon with my friend Sarah.  I loved the time we got to spend together especially the night before.  We spent the night at her friend's house in Logan.  Evan spent the night at Brandon and Melinda's and brought the girls up to cheer me on.  He was waiting at the first spot that spectators can see you. I was just coming out of Blacksmith Fork Canyon.  I was a bit concerned at this point.  I had another 12 miles to go, an upset stomach, and some serious bathroom issues.  Luckily, I did not have to make any more bathroom stops.  Evan and the girls, Brandon and Melinda, and Breezy and Gabel all came to cheer me on.  It meant so much and helped me finish.  They cheered me on at around mile 14, 17, 19.5, 21, 22,  23.5, and the finish.  They also drove past me a few times.  At mile 21, Evan ran along side me with Kira in his arms telling me that I could do it.  I remember thinking, "I love that man."  Moriah even tried to hug my legs while I was running (not as helpful but cute).  A girl runner that saw Evan and Moriah told my family that they were going to make her cry.  My family definitely made me tear up a couple of times.  Evan says it's not too hard to make those marathoners cry.

The week before the race, Moriah kept telling me that I needed to win the race.  I kept telling her that I just needed to finish.  Evan talked to her that if you finish you win so she switched to telling me that if I finished, I would win.  Fiona and Moriah told me the day before when I was nervous that I should just be happy that I get to run the race.  They were really cute.  Moriah and Melinda made a sign that said, "Go Mom! F."  Moriah explained that the F stood for fast.  Breezy brought signs with my picture and "Go Driel."  I also had family and friends wish me luck before the race. 

Evan has been so supportive of this marathon goal.  He watched the girls while I went on my super long runs, iced my knees, made me sport drinks, worked on running technique with me, mapped out runs, and kept telling me that I could do it and that it was a cool goal.  I would have quit a long time ago if it were not for him (and my amazing friend Sarah).  I was a mess after the marathon along with our three kids, but Evan took care of us all.  I am pretty lucky!

At mile 14, I am looking good.


My cute fans waiting at mile 14.


Mile 21 and looking a bit tired.


Looking very tired at mile 22. I do not even look like I am moving;-)


I finished and ripped off my shoes and made my way over to the bathrooms.

Sarah and I, we did it!


The girls were excited that I got a medal.

An amazing guy

Some crazy, tired kids

My support team, thank you!!!

8 comments:

Christensen's said...

You are amazing! Thanks for running with me! When I stopped at mile 14 Moriah said, "Look at all those people ahead of you. I really don't think you are going to win the race." :) She is a cutie!

Kelli said...

Wow! That is awesome!! I can't imagine running a marathon and I'm pretty sure I would have stopped if I had the flu. You look great, by the way.

Melissa said...

I totally teared up reading this. You are amazing. Macey was asking me today if her preschool teacher was the nicest person that I know. I told her yes, and then I say, WAIT. Driel is the nicest person that I know. And it is true. You are amazing. Thank you for sharing this trial/event with us! I just love you.

Breezy said...

Melissa...I did too! And I teared up AT EVERY SINGLE MILE MARKER. And I wasn't even running!

So proud of you!

And DANG proud of your choice in husbands.

Kathy said...

Yeah you did it! You are an inspiration.

Phyllis said...

This is one of your very best post, Driel. It gave me a real feel for the marathon, and I almost wanted to do one myself!
Great job!

Driel said...

Thanks everyone! Sarah that is too funny about Moriah. Sound like her. Melissa, thank you! We miss you!

Melinda said...

so impressed!! That is some hard core running. I've been running lately and I am super impressed with you doing a marathon, that is a great goal and you did it!

The cool thing will be working towards another one and then beating your time, it will feel amazing. So proud of you Driel.